Welcome to Byrd Central
400th anniversary of English Renaissance composer, William Byrd
We are a group of academics, educators, and musicians creating and disseminating events, new scholarship, stories, and recordings related to the 2023 anniversary of the death of Tudor composer William Byrd. New site areas and content will be released over the course of the year.
- Fri, 27 JanSt Mary the Virgin, Oxford
- Sat, 28 JanSt Martin-in-the-Fields, London
- Fri, 03 FebSt Mary Magdalen Oxford03 Feb 2023, 17:00 GMT – 04 Feb 2023, 17:00 GMTSt Mary Magdalen Oxford, 9 Magdalen St, Oxford OX1 3AE, UKA collaborative complete performance of the Latin choral works of William Byrd to raise money for the music fund at the Church of St Mary Magdalen, Oxford. Conducted by Will Dawes and Guests.
- Wed, 08 FebNew College Oxford08 Feb 2023, 16:00 GMTNew College Oxford, Holywell St, Oxford OX1 3BN, UKThe Choir of New College, Oxford, sings music by Byrd live on BBC Radio 3: the Magnificat and Nunc dimittis from the ‘Great’ Service, the motet Exsurge Domine, and an introit by Byrd’s younger contemporary and fellow-anniversarian Thomas Weelkes. Open to the public; please be seated by 3:45pm.
- Sat, 18 MarStoller Hall, Manchester18 Mar 2023, 19:30 GMTStoller Hall, Manchester, Hunts Bank, Manchester M3 1DA, UKAlongside the English Cornett and Sackbut Ensemble, the William Byrd Singers will take to The Stoller Hall stage to give voice to anthems and motets by Byrd & Weelkes, rounding the concert off with a complete performance of Byrd’s massive Great Service.